Google, Google Checkout, Nonprofit 2.0, nptech, NTEN

Google Checkout free for nonprofits

NTEN Logo Google logo

NTEN scooped us all with the news that nonprofits are now eligible to use Google Checkout for free (no gateway, processing or monthly fees) until the end of this year2008. And for the low, low rate of 2% and $0.20 per transaction after that! But wait, there’s more. The annoying problem with Google Checkout for nonprofit usage was that it forced donors to go through a shipping screen. They’ve fixed that problem.

If you’re a developer and you’re looking for the API, click here. It’s yet another huge development in the nonprofit space. Kudos again to NTEN for doing it this for us! I may be critical of their web site statistics stance but I’m a loyal member for precisely this sort of reason.

Relevancy Ranking
Why did you post this???I do not think this was necessary.Not bad. I will save for later.I really needed to read this!This bit of knowledge will make me look good. (1 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

• On 09.27.07 Peter Gulka said:

I wonder how they define “non-profit”

• On 09.27.07 Allan Benamer said:

Generally speaking, with Google, you must have 501c3 status. There are exceptions for orgs outside the US or the UK. You definitely can’t fake it either. They don’t consider fiscally sponsored orgs to have 501c3 status.

• On 10.22.07 Joe said:

Can you accept credit cards at an auction via this site, or does each card holder need to register with google?

• On 10.23.07 Allan Benamer said:

Well it depends on what you mean by an auction. If you’re talking about the way prosper.com means by an auction where you add money to an existing account and then bid from there, then no, you can’t do that with Google Checkout. There’s no provision for storing money in a Google Checkout account.

If you’re talking about the way eBay does auctions, where the bidders are bound by honor and possibly community opprobrium if they don’t follow through on their winning bids, then yes you can do that with Google Checkout.

• On 05.10.08 mmuk99 said:

can registered charities from the uk be eligible??

thanks

• On 05.11.08 Allan Benamer said:

Sorry, mmuk99. I don’t think any charity outside of the US is eligible as Google specifically states that you have to have 501c3 status to use their software.

• On 08.11.08 Alex Walker said:

I represent a non-profit that wants to collect donations as well as sell products to raise cash for the cause. Will these physical products sold by the non-profit also enjoy the benefit of no fees? Or is the “no fees” only for cash donations?

Thanks for your help

• On 08.11.08 Allan Benamer said:

Hmmm, interesting question because those physical products may be considered earned income. I think you’d better ask your accountant first before selling that on Google Checkout. I’m not a nonprofit accountant but I think you have to be very careful about how you do earned income. Google Checkout won’t resolve these issues for you. That’s between you and your IRS auditor.

• On 01.28.09 Rajasekaran said:

We are Indian based Non-Profit Organization. We need donations for the good cause. Let me know how a Indian Non-Profit Organizations integrate Google Checkout in their website to get donations from kind-hearted philanthropists across the world? Waiting for your valuable reply..

• On 01.28.09 Allan Benamer said:

Sorry, Rajasekaran, Google Checkout for Non-Profits is only for non-profits in the United States that have 501c3 status. You can check http://checkout.google.com/support/sell/bin/answe…for the details.

• On 07.17.09 HaHa said:

Does yahoo store checkout have a discount fee for Non-Profit too?

• On 02.13.10 Marie said:

Hi, I'm the director of a non profit who's considering google checkout for online donations. One concern I have is that with google checkout, as I understand it, a potential donor would have to first set up a google checkout account before they could make a donation. How many people are going to want to establish one more account just so they could make a $25 or $50 donation.

Isn't there any donation platform where donors can simply donate using their credit card without have to sign up for something else? (aside from PayPal)?